Monday, November 12, 2012

Values

I have been attending a leadership training at school Terrapin Leadership Institute (TLI). At one of the sessions, we were given a list of values, and asked to pick 5 values. I the 5 i picked were; Accomplishment, Family, Hard work, Giving, and Determination. Then we were asked to let go of 4 values and leave one standing. It was hard letting go of some of the things I value most, like Hard work, giving, determination and accomplishment. The only value I had standing was FAMILY. Why did I pick family? Cos my family means so much to me. I may be hardworking, an accomplished woman, determined and also a charity worker, but by family makes me complete an whole. I can never replace them, eve n when I am married.

Yesterday, I tried the same activity with my 9 year old sister. But I gave her 10 values and she had to pick 5 The values I gave here were; God, education, hard work, love, family, determination, (I cant remember the other 5), but this were the 5 she picked. I told her to let go of 4 and have one standing. She had God as the last value. I asked her why she had God and let go of family, and she told me that, God is her ultimate and with God, she has everything. With God, she has her family, education, and every other things. I was so impressed with her answer, and proud of her. That even as a child, she know that she values God even more than her family, cause he is the ultimate.

Train a child in the way he/she should go, and he/she will never depart from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment