Sunday, October 14, 2012

Daddy issues

Being a parent is one of the world's toughest job. Being my parent, is even more tough. I come from a disciplined home, dad was strict, and I thought he was just plain wicked and cruel. Now that I am an adult, I get what he was doing. Though he kinda over did it sometimes, but he always disciplined me in love.

Growing up, I was a very obedient, quiet, shy kid. I was the biggest cry baby in the world, and very emotional. So I tried staying out of trouble. But whenever I committed a crime,(children crimes), I bring down the roof, and then I got the spanking of my life. I remember one time I almost burnt down the house. I had just cleaned up my room, and I used old newspapers to cover the windows, and then I think I was trying to smoke a wrap of paper (I was like 9 years old), and the fire from the warp of paper got  on the papers on the window, cause I was very close to the window, and the whole newspapers caught fire. That day, I got the beating of my life, so funny now that I look back. Also, when I was in primary school at Gideon International Isolo, I hated the subject Maths with a passion. My dad spent so much money on math tutors, that didn't change the way I felt about math. So at the end of the term, I brought home my results, and I had a 30% in math, and a 99% in Yourba ( Yourba is a Western Nigerian Language). Yes, I had a 99% in Yourba, and a 30% in math. That night when my dad came home and saw the result, I really can't say what happened. It was a Chinese movie, with dad as Jakie Chan, and me as the Bad guy. Incidents like these, made me hate my dad like hell. I felt like the most  hated child in the world.

I remember when I had my first boyfriend, I was 15 he was 26 or so ( a crime in America lol). When my dad heard that I was talking to a guy on my street, that was it, he almost had my neck that day. Then I hated him even more. Fast forward to present, and I've had several relationships, and I never introduce the guys to my parents. And I asked myself why?
One day, it came to me " I HAVE DADDY ISSUES".  What is daddy issues u might be wondering, I will explain it in a very easy way. Daddy issues, is when you have issues with your dad, and you think and treat all the men in your life as your dad (Ok if u don't understand this, I dont either). So because I had daddy issues, and I wasn't close to my dad, and I took the way he disciplined me as him being a monster, I was wrong. In fact, my dad loves me more than I can ever imagine. He once told me that the reason he was so hard on me, was because he wanted me to become better than him in future.
My dad, being a disciplinarian, wanted me to do this in a certain way. In one of my blogs, I mentioned how people advised  us to all become nurses when we first came to America. And dad was so bent on me doing nursing. When I dropped out of nursing school, he was so mad at me. I was got angry, and at that point, my war with my father became bigger than World War II, it was  Nwosu War, between Kelechi and her dad. Everyone was so concerned about the war between him and I, and I was miserable. At that moment, I had a lot going on. After loosing my mom and my sister under a year, I blamed my dad for everything. I guess the hatred I had as a kid, grew even stronger and stronger.
After counselling, and prayers, and so many talks from my friends, sister and fiance, I finally decided to make up with my dad. Funny, my dad and I are gradually becoming close, and we now understand each other a little better. And I appreciate him more now than ever.
 I am glad I am over my daddy issues now, and I hope its finally over. Though we might still have some clashes, it wont be as bad as it was, cos now there is a mutual understanding between us now.

1 comment:

  1. awww check out mu cousin and my daddy....i love u guys

    ReplyDelete